SDC and SDC Foundation’s internship program offers invaluable, hands-on training to college students, graduate students and recent graduates interested in careers in arts administration and/or labor relations. Ideal candidates are strategic, detail-oriented, and equally capable of working independently or in a group.
Administrative interns sharpen administrative skills and are introduced to a thriving and inspiring community of directors and choreographers from across the country.
Each intern is assigned to a specific department and staff supervisor. Occasional cross-departmental projects allow interns to gain insight into multiple areas of the organizations.
Internships are part time and generally last for twelve weeks, with a minimum commitment of 16 hours per week spent at SDC during business hours (Monday through Friday, from 10am to 6pm).
Interns at SDC/SDCF:
• Receive intensive one-on-one training from experienced supervisors to become familiar with industry-standard skills and platforms.
• Sit in on a staff meeting and/or a Board meeting during the period of their internship.
• Attend a Brown Bag Lunch with Executive Director Laura Penn.
• Receive a complimentary one-year subscription to SDC Journal.
• Have access to unique opportunities, such as backstage tours, first rehearsal visits, and/or conversations with distinguished directors and choreographers.
• Are invited to attend or participate in supplementary SDC and SDC Foundation events free of charge.
• Receive a monthly metro card and a small stipend to offset meal costs.
To apply, send a cover letter outlining your interest, availability, and writing experience, along with a resume and two writing samples, to Marisa Levy, SDC Member Services Coordinator, at MLevy@SDCweb.org.
Writing samples should each be approximately one page in length; excerpts of longer works will be accepted. Interviews, including Q&As, are an excellent choice; reviews, blog entries, and school papers are also acceptable. Consider your email and cover letter to be additional samples of your writing and professionalism. No phone calls, please.
If you are interested in working at SDC Foundation, please visit http://sdcfoundation.org/about-sdcf/work-with-sdcf/.